Thursday, June 07, 2007

OMG I think I should be living in a bubble!!!!

For many many years I have been battling with allergies causing hayfever and Rhinitis. In the beginning it was just seasonal and antihistamines was all that was needed. This was back when I was a teenager, that's the earliest I can remember. Then when Adrian and I were first married I was diagnosed with asthma, which was triggered by my allergies. From then on things have gone from bad to worse.

I have been using a number of different corticosteroid sprays, which have worked up until the last 3 years. Now my body is immune to these sprays and they give me nose bleeds. I think I've taken out shares in the Sudafed company. Without these I am in constant pain all over my face and I can't smell or taste my food. In the high allergy season, I go deaf because of the blockages in my ears from the allergies. Enough is enough, I can't go on like this any longer, so my doctor sent me to an Allergy Speciallist.

I went for skin prick testing and found I am allergic to pollens, dust mite, grass, cats and moulds. I was then sent for blood tests to find out the depth of my allergies to these and it turns out they all rate a 3 out of 4, which he says is very high. There is no way to eliminate these from my life except for cats, so the only option for me now is desensitising. This means I have to have 2 separate injections to cover all these allergies. Both injections are given once a week for nine weeks, then once a fortnight for a month and then monthly after that, over a period of 2-3 years to immune me from my allergies.

I was also sent for nasal swabs to rule out bacterial infections and a CT scan to check the damage that has been done to my sinuses over the years. He couldn't see up my nose because it was so blocked. He said he hasn't ruled out surgery to clear this up. My nasal passages are practically non existent they are so blocked. However, this wouldn't be for another couple of years. We are going to see if they clear up from eliminating allergies and desensitising.

I said before I can't eliminate these air borne allergies from my life, but it also seems I have other contributing allergies that can be eliminated. I went for chemical testing today. This is where they place drops under your tongue to see how it affects you. It turns out I am also allergic to Polyurethane Foam, which is in my pillows, mattress, furniture and carpet underlay. The biggest problem though, is in the bedding. The heat that is generated from your body while you are sleeping heats up the foam and lets off toxins. I now have to buy pure wool pillows and underlays, including Adrian's pillow. The toxin that will be given off from his heat will also affect me. I was also tested for outdoor moulds, which is found in soil, grass, pine bark, practically anything in the garden. This made me very sick and I am still feeling the affects now. It made me nauseous, headaches, asthma, muscle aches, dizzyness, more sinus pain. Hopefully this will be eased with the injections. It looks like I get out of gardening and Adrian can never expect me to mow the lawns now. Cut lawn is worse for setting off the moulds. I have been given drops that go under the tongue to ease the symptoms of the poly foam, a bit like taking a panadol but directly works on the allergy. This and elimination are the only treatment for this allergy.

I am also doing droplet testing at home to see if I have an allergy for polyester. God help me if I am. All those new clothes I've bought, underwear, everything would have to go. OMG, I hope this comes up negative. I also have to do an elimination test of dairy products from my diet. The doctor said it would be highly likely I'm also intolerant to cows milk products because these are a common cause of sinus problems. No more latte's or Chocolate!!!, Oh NOOOO!!!!! I'll keep you posted on these ones.

All I want is to feel better again. I'll do anything to take away my constant pain, and be able to taste my food. To not waste money at a restaurant ordering food or eating delicious desserts that only go to my hips, if I can't even taste them. Hopefully it will reduce the puffiness under my eyes and I might even lose that horrible nasal sound in my voice that I've had nearly all my life. Maybe I can stop hearing "have you got a cold" nearly every time I speak to people over the phone. Except those that I speak to regularly and know that is just me. I wonder what my voice actually sounds like, with clear nasal passage. I'm hoping to soon find out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my bloody God woman, you don't do things by halves!!
Gosh, you're allergic to half the world...
Goodluck with the polyester testing, just another thing you really don't need right now...arggghhh!!
At least you can eliminate some of the causes and I hope you get quick relief...
GOODLUCK and hope you start feeing much better very soon!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

judee d said...

Always look on the bright side of life.............Imagine no more polyester.......no more undies.......woooooohooooo.
Keep smiling and healthy
l
Judy

Laura said...

I'm so glad you have finally looked into your allergies. Sounds like you will need to get your nasal passages cortirised (sp?) where they burn the lining. Had this one done about 12 years ago. What a bugger about the poly foam thing, but you know what? wool is so much better for you and your asthma anyway, we changed :)
Will be looking out for more news, but will probably talk to you soon :) Laura

Anonymous said...

wow you really have been through hell...and back again with this stuff! Its good in a way though that things are finally getting sorted out for you and you will be able to live more comfortably with your allergies and knowing what youc an and cant do. I hope this all works out for the best and gets you to where you want to be health wise. Chin up...it will all come good in the end :)

James said...

Hey Andrea I joined blogspot just so I could post this- I'm 20 years old and grew up living by the beach, but when I moved to Texas, I had to get a skin prick test and sure enough, I was allergic to everything (grass, dust, mold, mites, dogs, cats). I had so much pain in my face my doctor thought I might have shingles. Eventually I dropped out of school on a medical leave (and I'm a college golfer which means I'm outside a lot) . Otherwise I've been healthy my whole life but the allergies are taking my life over! I guess you can relate.

Well I'd love to know how you are doing now. How are the injections going? What remedies have worked for you or what pills are you taking? I've been taking drops under my tongue for a while, but it's not going real well. Are there any remedies that are helping you get through the day now? All the best-hang tough