Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Cranbourne Botanical Gardens

Micayla is studying 'Mini Beasts' (insects) in school. They went on an excursion to the Cranbourne Botanical Gardens to go hunting for them. They had a guide who was very informative about the different bugs you'll find in the garden etc. The kids were given bug catchers to have a go at catching some for themselves. Micayla found a cockroach, eeeeewwww!!!

The blue thing Micayla is looking through shows you what an insect's vision looks like. Man I'd hate to have their eyesight. I thought mine was bad, needing an extra pair of glasses over my glasses (when working on fine work of course) but they see multi images all at once. Like having a pair of glasses with lenses made from honeycomb. What the.....????They were also given nets to scoop up the water to see how many bugs are living in the lake. They emptied the nets into a dish of water to see what would be swimming around. They found mosquito larvae, little wormy thingies, all sorts of bugs.

After lunch we had a look around the gardens. There were some beautiful gardens and I got some great pics. Here is one of Micayla posing for one. Getting used to me doing this she is. Not complaining too much yet. Give her time though!!


These are some of Micayla's friends. They were the group of kids I had to look after for the day. In case you haven't already figured it out, I decided to torture myself and go along to help out, LOL, but seriously it was fun and I'd never been to these gardens before. Micayla really loved having me there and it was great spending the day with her and her friends. The two boys are Kyle and Jordan and Emma is on the end. Emma was also in her prep class, she lives around the corner from us and they play after school together a lot, while I have coffee with her mum. They also do Gymnastics together.

This is at the end of the day before her class got back on the bus. Micayla round them all up for a group photo. A budding photographer, organised them very well.

1 comment:

Laura said...

What a cool excursion! I can't remember doing any of that in primary school. It looked like such a great day and a good bunch of kids. Happy scrapping those pics :)